REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 14:38:53 CDT 2013

Hello John,
Unless your aircraft has something other than standard factory
equipment, the speed brake is operated by an electric linear actuator
(no hydraulics).
The speed brake actuator opening in the floor of the aircraft is serving
as an exit place for a leak in the hydraulic system.
Remove the keel cover(s) and keel inspection plates - grab a flashlight,
mirror, and clean rag - and begin searching for puddles and drips.
If you are lucky, it will be a loose hose fitting.  If the cause is bad
cylinder seal, it is reasonably easy to fix.  This will likely involve
removing the cylinder from the aircraft for service.
Good luck!
Scott B.