REFLECTOR: Wheel farings

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at Roadrunner.com
Tue Jul 16 13:15:55 CDT 2013

I bought mine from www.Jamesaircraft.com . They are much more sturdy than the factory ones and better aerodynamics. I have them on my mains but have not used them on the nose wheel. I am a little afraid because they are heavier and might cause some shimmy. I am still using the factory nose faring but I beefed it up with some aluminum angle. Even that does not work if you slam the nose down hard. I have lost two of them.

From: Mark Magee
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:53 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Cc: mailto:reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Wheel farings

David,
Wheel pants are a royal PITA IMHO. The commercial grade aluminum ones used on Cessnas and other brand spam cans seem to be relatively trouble free. Yet in the home built composite the wheel pants are much more problematic. In my -next- re-engineering of my wheel pants I will ensure that all attachment points and any substructure supporting attachment points are as bullet-proof as possible, with easy access to the tire valves.

PITA!

Yet less so than a retract!  :)

Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4S