REFLECTOR: Wheel farings

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Sun Jul 14 17:15:13 CDT 2013

Curious about wheel fairings on fixed gear Velos. I put mine on as best I
could following the plans and they have never looked very good.  My front
one departed one day and I beefed it and it now stays on even when I get
shimmy, which is only when I do a nose wheel landing - seldom).

The other day one of the mains came off on landing.  I think the small screw
holding it to the post in the outside of the wheel fell out (poor pre-flight
on my part).  It made good noise and jerked me all over the runway as it got
caught under the wheel, but no damage beyond severe mangling of the faring.
Just as good as I didn't like it very much and now I get to do it better.

Any good fairing ideas, especially on how to attach them to the plane in a
manner that looks professional?  I can fix what I have, but don't want to.

Have fun at Airventure.  Too far for me, but might make it next year after I
paint my plane this winter.

David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292