REFLECTOR: Density altitude

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jul 13 12:15:31 CDT 2013

Thats a fantastic chart!

I've been flying mainly high density altitude airports for 14 years, but
I printed that out for my flight bag.

I fly a STD RG with a IO520 fixed pitch Catto prop.  The prop is pitched
for cruise so my TO performance is not great.

I used 8,000 ft of runway once, my record when I had a IO360 with Catto
prop, at Alamosa, CO. I was new to the V at the time, though I knew I
would need a lot of runway, DA was 12,500+, I had a full tank of gas, a
bunch of stuff in the back seat, and the passenger weighed 275 lbs!

In the summer here at KGNT, field elevation is 6550, runway is about
7,000 ft long.  I will use between 3500 and 6000 ft of runway, depending
on load and time of day.  If I have more than me in the plane I always
do morning departures. DA is just to high in the afternoon.  Its rarely
below 10,000 ft after 12 o'clock.

I departed this morning at about 9am, just me, 50 gallons of fuel(60 is
max), I used about 4000 ft of runway.  DA was 8,000 ft.

In the winter I use about 30-40% less runway.  At sea level its a rocket
and I've never used more than 3,500 ft at gross.

Scott