REFLECTOR: Density Altitude

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Wed Jul 10 16:24:59 CDT 2013

Hi there,

I guess this has come up before, so sorry to ask again if it had

I was wondering if any one has similar experience or data. I have a Standard
Velo Fix Gear, with a Catto fix pitch prop. With aprox. 700lbs between
passengers and fuel, in the winter with density altitude of 500ft I need a
bit more then 2,000 ft to rotate with a VS+ of maybe 500ft/min.

But in the summer, on a hot day things are not pretty. My density altitude
goes up to around 2,000 for the same field, and I need around 2,500 to
rotate and my climb rate is maybe 200ft/mim. for the same weight.

I need to fly to a field that, at the time of take off I expect to encounter
a density altitude of 4,000ft, with that same weight. So, I wonder if you
have any experience in those altitudes with that weight and with a fix pitch
prop. How much runway would that take and what rate of climb?

Ruben