REFLECTOR: brake pedals

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Fri Jul 5 16:02:45 CDT 2013

>> FINALLY, BUILDING EVERY DAY <<

I'm very jealous, Phil! Wish I could do that.

If I could spend every day doing nothing but work on my plane . . . I'd still buy the Factory brake pedals! I'm not opposed to DIY projects, deviations from the plans, or finding a better/cheaper/lighter/cooler/nicer/faster way to do anything. I just think the benefit/time ratio is really low for the project as you've described it.

But don't listen to me. If you're intrigued by the idea of making your own pedals, then DO IT! This is your plane and you get to make it what you want it to be. When I finally get to see your plane at Oshkosh, I'll be really impressed by those carbon-fiber brake pedals.

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 46% complete
Currently working on: Lowering the brake pedals 2.5" so I can get on the brakes without lifting my feet.

Velocity Owners and Builders Association
http://www.velocityowners.com<http://www.velocityowners.com/>

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Phil Hooper
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 3:12 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: brake pedals

I'm hesitant to purchase the factory metal brake pedals, at $350 I think, plus added weight.
I was thinking of making a mold for the existing steps using dental alginate (my brother's a DDS and wife a dental tech!) and then fashioning to the resultant plaster mold pedals made of carbon fiber.  I can think why this may be a pain for a lot of reasons.
Has anyone in the collective done so?  Thanks much.  Hope all had a happy 4th.  FINALLY, BUILDING EVERY DAY!

--

--
Phil Hooper

voice: 714.693.8745