REFLECTOR: Electrical system

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 5 08:46:21 CDT 2013

Larry,

I just completed an upgrade to my panel and it's similar to yours, HXr (with autopilot, EIS, SkyRadar) and a Dynon D10A with the internal battery backup.  I have a 14v system, single battery and alternator.  I kept my Garmin GPSMAP 496 since it has it's own battery.  I plan to add a backup battery for the HXr as well.  GRT told me that at 14v you need at least a 3AHr battery.  I'm looking at the inexpensive rechargeable batteries used in alarm panels.  I plan to rig up the battery with a recharging circuit and connect it to the HXr and AHRS secondary power inputs.

Here's a picture of my panel in flight:  http://www.grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=189.

If I had a complete power failure I would still have the HXr, Dynon and 496 along with a handheld NAV/COM all powered by batteries.  I personally prefer this over a second alternator, etc. for its simplicity.

If anyone is interested I'm selling off a lot of the stuff I took out of the panel:

- Garmin/Apollo SL70 transponder with Trans-Cal SSD120 digital encoder
- S-TEC 50 2-axis autopilot with turn-coordinator, includes servos, pitch sensor, harness, hardware, ST-901 GPS Steering ARINC-429 interface
- Sigma-Tek 4000C vacuum directional gyro with autopilot heading bug output, 14v lighting
- Mid Continent MD200-306 CDI, 14v lighting
- Apollo ACU GPS/NAV switch, vertical, 14v
- Aerosonic Altimeter Model 101720, 14v lighting
- United Airspeed Indicator Model 8030, 14v lighting, marked for Velocity RG
- United VSI Model 7000, 14v lighting
- Rapco Vacuum Pump model RA216CW with vacuum regulator, vacuum gauge

Here's a picture of my old panel showing most of this equipment:  http://elegant-productions.com/IMG_0527.JPG

Individual photos and documentation for this equipment is also available.  Please contact me for pricing.

Regards,
Glenn