REFLECTOR: Mogas

dennis.doc dennis.doc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:40:06 CDT 2013

Anyone had this happen? Let us know your experience. I've only used LL100
for taxi or flying. (Also, mogas not good for our tanks).Using only Mogas,
this guy's fuel lines got a bad case of asthma. From Sonex builder:

Dennis Martin
173 FGE Chevy V-6

2a   Autopsy on fuel line
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonextalk/message/79565;_ylc=X3oDMTJycG9udDYxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzczNzkxNDAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1Nzg2MDgzBG1zZ0lkAzc5NTY1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEzNzI4MTk0MjM->
  Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by:   "sonex541" sonex541
<sonex541 at yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20Autopsy%20on%20fuel%20line>
Well after a long process of trying to figure out my problem , I took the
fittings of each end , I'm convinced the auto fuel caused this problem ,
this plane has run 100 ll it's whole life , I wanted to run it a few months
ago and went to my local brand name gas station and bought 6 gallons of
fuel , I wasn't goin to fly with this fuel but just to run it every week or
so during the winter months and get some heat and oil flowing , then when I
would start flying It , i would drain it and put 100ll , from the fuel
sitting in the fuel line it swelled the rubber inside the braided stainless
hose , down to Probably 1/8 of an inch cutting of my fuel flow to the carb
, causing the 2 gph fuel flow , . , it's amazing how much it swelled it up
, especially closer to the ends were the fittings were threaded in , I cut
hose in half and it's Probably down to 1/4th original diameter inside of
that ,
So cheap auto gas has caused me hours of grief and work , so me personally
will never put that in any of my planes , ever
again!!!
Adam Simmons
Sonex 541