REFLECTOR: Oil Pressure Effects From Cooler Arrangement

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jul 1 15:45:51 CDT 2013

On 7/1/2013 3:11 PM, John Dibble wrote:
> On 7/1/2013 1:29 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>>
>> I have an oil pressure sensor mounted before the oil filter, and an
>> oil pressure sensor on the engine galley, so this measures the
>> pressure drop across the filter and oil cooler.
>
> AND the oil line pressure drop.  I see a 12-14 psi drop between the
> cooler outlet and the engine inlet with my 1/2 oil lines.  Of course
> that assumes that each pressure sensor is reading the same, which
> probably isn't true.

That goes without saying.  For everyone's information, I am using 5/8
(-10) oil lines.

> If your 2 coolers are near each other, it might work to run a duct
> line from the NACA to the second cooler and back to the exit duct.

Yes, they are very close, but the top secondary cooler was meant to be
used for cabin heat, recirculating cabin air.
Ruben's configuration is logically identical to mine, but our approaches
are a little different.  With an arrangement of flappers, I can dual
purpose the oil coolers for ground cooling, just like Ruben did.

I ordered a centrifugal fan today:
http://advancedsportvehicles.com/spal-hvac-blowers/blower-motors/spal-single-wheel-12v-blower-009-a70-74d.html

I also ordered this fan from Wal-Mart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Port-A-Cool-Cyclone-2000-Portable-Evaporative-Cooling-Unit-Black/24293164
But I don't think it will fit in the plane.