REFLECTOR: Oil Pressure Effects From Cooler Arrangement

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jul 1 13:29:22 CDT 2013

In the spirit of sharing, I have some data related to the effects of a
single oil cooler vs. two coolers in parallel.  Unfortunately, my logged
oil temperatures are being held hostage by a bad serial port on the
Autronic, which logs oil temperature data.

I have an oil pressure sensor mounted before the oil filter, and an oil
pressure sensor on the engine galley, so this measures the pressure drop
across the filter and oil cooler.

Last weekend, I had a parallel cooler arrangement.
This weekend, I capped off one cooler.

 From searching internet sources, I should have seen a reduction in
engine oil galley pressure with the single cooler due to its higher
resistance to oil flow compared to the parallel arrangement.

What I observed is a maximum of 18PSI pressure differential between the
two sensors.  During climbout, filter pressure reached 102PSI, and my
minimum galley pressure happened on roll out, and was 35PSI. The maximum
differential occurred during a low power cruise, about 2400 RPM, and was
very constant up to the point I hit redline on the temps and came in for
landing.

I will be reconfiguring with split cooling lines, and testing for series
pressure differences, and will let you guys know what I find.  At this
time, my plan is to:
1) fly with split lines, single cooler
2) fly with split lines, parallel coolers
3) fly with split lines, series coolers