REFLECTOR: What brake fluid to use with matco?

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Thu Jan 24 09:59:49 CST 2013

Velocity has required DOT 5 in the original Matco brakes.

(per wikopedia, the expert on all aviation topics!)

DOT 5 is Not to be confused with DOT 5.1, a polyethylene glycol based fluid.

DOT 5 is one of several designations of automotive hydraulic brake fluid, denoting a particular mixture of chemicals imparting specified ranges of boiling point.

DOT 5 is a silicone-based brake fluid (contains at least 70% by weight of a diorgano polysiloxane[1]).

Unlike polyethylene glycol based fluids, it is hydrophobic. Its chief advantage over other forms of brake fluid is that silicone exhibits a more stable viscosity index in extreme temperatures. It is widely used in the antique automobile arena as well as it does not damage paint.

Using DOT 5 in a DOT 3 or DOT 4 system without proper flushing will cause damage to the seals and cause brake failure. DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock brake systems. DOT 5 brake fluid absorbs a small amount of air requiring care when bleeding the system of air.

Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.

937.426.4300  Office