REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 94, Issue 37

James Lotspeich jlotspeich34 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:28:08 CST 2013

It's been a while, but I believe Cloudcap builds laser altimeters for
precision autopilot landings (UAV autopilot).  The cost six years ago was
~$1k.  Worked pretty well when wings are level up to maybe 1000ft.  With an
IMU or AHRS unit, you can tell when you're level.  The laser will give a
good height above ground.  Both units feed serial data or CAN bus.  I'd
trust the laser over field elevation calculations.  Also could be used for
an auto gear down if you're feeling really experimental.

James