REFLECTOR: Need a topic... gear down check

Rich Ervin rich_ervin at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:54:25 CST 2013

Any way to build this based on altitude or distance to ground? Some simple range detecting device that can measure the distance to the ground?

To: reflector at tvbf.org
From: dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:56:02 -0600
Subject: REFLECTOR: Need a topic... gear down check

OK, because the reflector is quiet, I'll bring the team up to speed on a little side project I've got going & again ask for any input...

I've never been happy with the gear up warning system... I like to fly a tight pattern, and often times I won't have the throttle fully cut off until I'm right over the numbers.  A warning system based on throttle position therefore doesn't give much warning.  So, since winters are long here in Minnesota, I dreamed up a really complicated but maybe better solution.

In net, I'm working on programming for a very small (think size of a pack of cigarettes) and very cheap ($35) Single Board Computer, which will be interfaced to watch the various gear position microswitches.  It also is taking the RS-232 serial data stream from my Dynon D10-A and my Garmin GNS 530W as inputs to set up the following test...

If I am within, say, 3 miles of my GPS destination, and

if I am going less than 120 knots (maximum gear extension speed), and

if I am less than say, 300 feet AGL, and

if my gear is NOT extended.... THEN

My wife Ali's voice will come over the intercom, loud and clear, saying "PUT YOUR GEAR DOWN, STUPID!  YOU'RE ABOUT TO CRASH!!!"

What dya all think?  Pretty cool if I can get it to work!

I'm using a SBC called a Raspberry Pi... it's got a 700 mhz processor, 512 MB of onboard RAM, two USB ports, audio and HDMI outputs, an onboard ethernet port, and an onboard SDRAM slot.... all for $35 (!).  I've got the interface electronics worked out (buffers, voltage shifters, a MUX for the two RS-232 serial data streams, etc.), and I'm working on the programming.

Obviously, this is pretty much a "one of" implementation, since it's dependant on my Dynon and Garmin panel.  If it all works as planned, though, it should be just a SMOP (Simple Matter Of Programming) to adopt it to other panels.

Any thoughts out there?  What else could I use it for, like other warning systems?

Dave

Dave T. Nelson

T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648

Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering