REFLECTOR: Oil consumption

vance atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 14:50:46 CST 2013

It doesnt have to be that way.  Im on my 4 set of cylinders in 26
years.  First two were remainufactured. Next set was from Superior. And
the last set was from Lycoming and they were new.  I use 1 qt of oil
between 25 hour oil changes. I have a Lyc. 0320.

The first three sets of cylinders got about 10 hours per qt on new oil
and 6 hours on dirty oil ( just before oil change). Problems with the
first 3 sets wound up being mostly valve problems..... So now I'm lucky
to have the std steel cylinders that I got from Lycoming preforming as
well as they do.

If you decide to run your breather into the exhaust, be careful because
if you get a backfire, you could have a problem.  Use an automotive anti
backfire valve for insurance.  Also when that set up was the rage years
ago, some of the guys found their oil consumption going up as it helped
suck extra oil out instead of a normal amount, but on the positive side
it got rid of any oil leaks the engine had as it created enough vacuum
to clean them up.

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor