REFLECTOR: Oil, P-factor and other things

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Sun Feb 24 09:27:32 CST 2013

I was at the Continental Engine class in Mobile back in January and the
instructor used a formula similar to that one. He also said that the engine
manufactures determination of "too much" oil consumption is if you run out
of oil before you run out of gas. So using his "real world" formula:

90 gal fuel / 15GPH = 6.0 hours
12qt oil (full) - 6qt (minum) = 6qt useable
6qt / 6 hours = 1qt per hour maximum allowable oil consumption.

Now that's just the engine manufacture's point of view.

For me, if I was using 1qt per hour, I would really want to know where that
oil is going!

-Don