REFLECTOR: Oil consumption

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Feb 23 21:08:43 CST 2013

airplane engines as a whole burn and blow oil overboard. Its part of
their 1950's design.  Auto engines have evolved to not burn or blow oil.
  Airplane engines have not evolved in that area to a large degree.

Continental by and large burns or blows less oil than Lycomings.  My
Cont. io520, needs about a quart every 10-15 hours.  If I run it
hard(high rpm) it needs closer to 10, if I run it easier it tends
towards 15. It blows more overboard at high rpm.

Running your breather tube into your exhaust system, burns and blows the
oil away from the cowl.  A rutan trick that is an excellent solution to
the oily cowl.

Scott