REFLECTOR: Fuel imbalance

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:07:16 CST 2013

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this issue, the boys in Sebastian have
already put a slide-rule to it. We are fairly unique in having the sump and
no selector valve(s). As long as your caps have good o-ring seals you can
fight a crosswind for many a mile, with gas transferring 'naturally' to the
low tank, all the while the sump staying topped-off; and that's all anyone
should care about. John A's instruction to me in transition training is
only to worry about draining the sump on steep descents with a low fuel
state.
I'll tell you it was little freaky to take off in Phoenix with topped tanks
and a little beyond El Paso I'm Port side nearly full and Starboard side
almost drained. I was thumping gauges...  I love steam gauges, they are
designed to be thumped.... :)
After landing I showed about 15 gallons Port and 0 STBD side. Next morning
they were equalized at about 7,5 gals each (estimated).

Mark Magee
N34XL XLFG