REFLECTOR: Bildge Fan

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Feb 8 09:46:38 CST 2013

Forcing air to do what you want is difficult.

I bought an electric fan that a lot of front wheel drive cars use for
cooling when there is no airflow.  It's a "universal" fan which means I
can remove the blades and flip them over.  I can also change the
rotation direction.

My first attempt did not work very well.  I have two oil coolers in the
nose.  The lower one being mainly for engine, the top one being for
cabin heat.

I wanted to blow cabin air through the top cooler and with a flapper
valve, either vent it overboard, or recycle it into the cabin.  The
problem is that the fan was blowing into a reducing cone that mated to
the cooler, and there was practically no airflow.  So, I flipped the
blades and changed rotation to draw from the oil cooler.  I can keep my
oil temps below redline on the ground even when I am tuning the engine
at high power.

The problem is that I don't have any real control of the cabin heat with
the direction of flow.  I do plan on trying an arrangement of
centrifugal blowers to do what I need.  A blower will produce high
pressure ratios, and that is what you need.