REFLECTOR: MT Prop Damage

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at JaxTechLLC.com
Wed Feb 6 21:45:40 CST 2013

Mark,

I had similar type damage to my leading edge, but more serious because it
tore out about a 1/2 inch square section of the stainless leading edge
piece.  I talked with MT about it and they of course said it was not field
repairable (by me or anyone else) and that it would require replacement of
the full stainless leading edge strip.  Here's what mine looked like (after
it sucked up a bolt during the early part of the take-off roll):

I did end up repairing it myself with JB Weld covered with some thin
fiberglass.  After the repair I flew it another ~15 hours while waiting for
the new 4 blade MT that we had already ordered (even before the damage to
the old 3 blade) to come in.  I monitored the repair closely and never saw
any progression or evidence of further damage, cracking, or separation of
the stainless leading edge piece.  The fiberglass, however, was being
gradually eroded.  Here's a (poor) closeup of just the repaired region,
showing how the outer edges of the fiberglass tape on the leading edge were
gradually being eroded by sand and dirt.

Since your stainless leading edge piece is barely cut, I would think you
could repair it with JB Weld and just monitor it closely for any progression
of damage.  It looks like your strike was also relatively close to the prop
tip -- I think ours was about 10-15 inches in from the tip.  You're
obviously totally on your own if you decide to repair it yourself, but I
think the odds are in your favor that it can be safely done, although it may
require some periodic retouching.  The safest route would be to have MT
replace the full stainless leading edge piece.  Sorry, I never got an
estimate for that, but would guess it would be around $1000.

All best of luck,

Bob Jackson

Turbo XL/RG

750 hrs