REFLECTOR: Air fuel monitor installed - works great

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 17:07:32 CST 2013

Guys,

A fellow Canadian and Lancair builder (Murray Marien) posted something on
the Dynon about an air/fuel monitor he installed and got working with the
Dynon Skyview system.  I installed a similar system on my IO-360 and
absolutely love it.  I always fly LOP, but have always found it a bit of a
pain to get to the right mixture, particularly if you want to lean out on
climb or keep it lean on descent.  With this AFR monitor, its a snap, just
dial in the mixture until you get the AFR you want.

Here's the one I installed:
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=SEMOSMAFRV2

Its only ~$140 and comes with everything you need (O2 sensor, harness,
module).  It outputs a 0-5V signal that is proportional to the air/fuel
ratio.  I was able to wire it into one of the free sensor inputs on my
Dynon Skyview so I have an AFR gauge on my panel.  I put the O2 sensor on
the #4 exhaust quite close to the exhaust port.  Murray had asked the
manufacture about proper placement on a Lycoming, and they suggested close
to the exhaust port to keep it hot to avoid lead buildup.  Murray has been
running his setup for >200hrs without problems.  I highly recommend it.

Geoff