REFLECTOR: Airfoils

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Thu Dec 5 18:41:39 CST 2013

>> Anyone know of the Airfoil sections on the wing and canard?  <<

David,

Many in the Velocity community will tell you that the Velocity airfoils are TLAR designs . . . that Danny Maher shaped them until "They Look About Right!" Funny story, but I think there's a more accurate description.

Danny built 2 Long EZs before creating the Velocity. The Wiki's unofficial history<http://wiki.velocityoba.com/index.php?title=UnOfficial_Velocity_History> of the Velocity claims that the Velocity wings are "modified Long-EZ airfoils with Roncz vortilons added." This makes sense, given the designer's history. I had tried to find more information on the canard design, but was unable to find any magazine articles or online sources that referenced it.

I ran into Danny Maher when I was in Sebastian for Head Start in 2012. I asked him about the Velocity's airfoils. He confirmed the wings were "modified Long-EZ," adjusted to the larger plane he wanted.  He could not give me specifics on the "adjustments," perhaps lending some truth to the TLAR story. When asked about the canard, he said that at the time he was designing the Velocity, the Rutan canard community was struggling with the Glasgow University (GU) canard's problem with losing lift when "contaminated" with rain drops. Danny's neighbor at the airport had an old German glider that was in disrepair. Danny claimed that the Germans made some of the best-performing airfoils in the world, so modeled his canard off of the glider's horizontal stabilizer, scaled up to the appropriate size (and inverted, obviously). I tried to get details on the make and model of the glider, but Danny couldn't recall. I even asked if the plane's remains were still in the area, but they had been removed long ago. I didn't pursue this any further; just added a few details about the canard to the wiki and moved on.

I don't know if this helps with your model, but either way I thought you'd find it interesting.

Would love to hear more about your research, analysis, and modeling. Maybe post something here or send me a longer write-up and high-res images for the newsletter?

Thanks!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 51% complete
Currently working on: Exhaust routing

Velocity Owners and Builders Association
http://www.VelocityOwners.com<http://www.velocityowners.com/>

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a7ee1f38e65