REFLECTOR: MT leading edge tape damage

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at JaxTechLLC.com
Fri Aug 30 18:46:43 CDT 2013

If there's not too much material gouged out below the tape (maybe the severe
sun shadows in the photo make it look like more is missing than there
actually is?!?), then I wouldn't even remove the tape, but attempt to fill
below it with JB Weld (thickened a little with milled fiber?) and try to get
the flaps on the torn tape to stick to the JB Weld, either all in one step,
or in two.

The good news is that it looks like all the damage is aft of the stainless
leading edge strip, so you have less structurally to worry about.  I would
classify this one as 'major cosmetic'.

If the gouging below the tape is deeper than an 1/8", then you might want to
consider plan 'B' and try to make, fit and epoxy in some small wood pieces
before filling the remaining spaces with JB Weld.

Hope it goes well, Brett!

Bob Jackson

N2XF

  _____