REFLECTOR: Foreflight and ADS-B

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 05:22:10 CDT 2013

Terry,

I also have been considering the Status ADS-B receiver to use with my Foreflight iPhone, and gen II iPad. Since I am only in phase one testing on my aircraft, I haven’t used the Foreflight on my iPad yet, but I have used it on my iPhone which worked really well as long as I was in an area that had a cell tower reception for my iPhone to receive data to display the weather imagery. My iPad is a Wi-Fi only iPad. I have been using my personal hotspot option on my iPhone to share 3G data from my ATT iPhone when my iPad doesn’t have a Wi-Fi connection available. I didn’t know when I purchased my iPad, that a Wi-Fi only iPad doesn’t have an internal GPS chip. The GPS chip is installed with the addition of the Cellular 3 G service option hardware.  It is my understanding, that this is where the Status is supposed to take over and provide continuous GPS reception for my WIFI only iPad and ADS-B data which will include weather imagery. I agree that Foreflight running on my iPhone zaps the battery really fast. Already planning for this, I installed a standard cigarette lighter plug in my aircraft. I plan then to use my USB charger to keep everything alive.

So if you have an iPhone, install Foreflight app on both your iPad and your iPhone, then you can check weather and file a flight plan on the ground with your iPhone, then when you get airborne your Status ADS-B will be able to take over on your iPad. If you didn’t already know, your one subscription to Foreflight will allow you to use your subscription on either or both devices at the same time.

Andrew Ellzey
479-631-2851 (Office)
479-531-5139 (iPhone)