REFLECTOR: What's the highest altitude airport you've flown into?

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 18 11:21:39 CDT 2013

Dave,

While my Velocity is not quite airborne, Most of my flying is from/to high density altitude airports. For years I flew, twice a month to Gunnison Colorado. Alamosa, Pagossa, Dulce, Buena Vista, etc. in my Cherokee 235.

If you need any specifics about the area, feel free to contact me directly. Keep in mind that out here there is a significant temperature change overnight (usually 30-40 degrees). so plan your departures for early mornings if you can.

In general, I am a staunch supporter of using the KOCH Chart. http://www.nappf.com/nappf_density_altitude.htm

It is the most consistent and reliable DA tool I have used. Print one and stick it with your flight gear.

Scott D has a lot of experience flying that model out of high density altitude airports and can give you some real info.

If you get down my way, drop in and say hi.

Kurt Winker
Mid Valley Airpark (E98)
325 HP Aluminum V-6 (now you know why I needed that)
Elevators & rudders rigged. Canard about ready for final installation.