REFLECTOR: Vortex generators location for armpit cooling scoops

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 22:19:40 CDT 2013

Larry,

So that is the question, how tall are your vortex generators, how far out in front of the armpit scoops did you place them? Did you make them, or buy them and if you bought them, where from. Can you please send a photo.

Thanks,

Andy

>________________________________

mounted them I was concerned about the boundary layer and extended the scoops
3/4" out from the fuselage so the entire scoop is outside the boundary
layer.  I also added an insert that looks like venturi that in theory
should help with pressure recovery.  The fact that I don't have cylinder
head cooling problems doesn't mean that it will work for you.  I am down
draft cooling a 220 HP Franklin.  I have vortex generators ahead of my oil
cooler inlet and that did lower my oil temp.  If you try vortex generators
I would suggest that they be tall enough so they stick out of the boundary
layer.

>Larry Coen
>N136LC

IO-540-E1A5, 300HP Lycoming engine. I can do full power climb outs in the
pattern all day without any issue. From everything that I have read on this
subject on the Reflector, this is common with the arm pit cooling.  The
higher pitch angle in the pattern, and in a cruse climb, forces plenty of
cooling air into the scoops, but the cooling ability drops off in level cruse
fight attitudes. My question is, is there anyone left on the reflector that is
using the armpit cooling, and do you have vortex generators in front of your
armpit scoops to help the airflow boundary layer adhesion to this area forward
of the armpit scoops? If you have vortex generators, what size, location, did
you make them, buy them, can you send a photo, please.

>I have swapped and calibrated my CHT probes, swapped the lowest CHT
cylinder fuel injector with my #5 injector. Nothing helps, it seems to be tied
with airflow into my scoops, or airflow inside my lower cowling. If the addition
of vortex generators doesn’t  help, I will probably have to install some
additional baffling to redirect more air to the aft two cylinders, #5, and #6.
Cylinders 1, 2, 3, and 4 are getting plenty of air, in fact they are running
cooler than I like at this time, but until I can get #5 CHT under control, I
can’t lean my engine properly to know if I have adequate airflow for all
cylinders or not. Installing my gear doors seemed to help.

>Photo attached showing my armpit cooling scoops. The additional screws
under the armpit scoops, attaches a mating internal scoop that directs the
airflow to my aft lower cowling.

>Thanks again for your help,
>Andrew
Ellzey