REFLECTOR: Vortex generators location for armpit cooling scoops

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 22:15:55 CDT 2013

Scott

I haven't done any air flow testing yet. On a Lycoming the #5 & 6 are aft most cylinders on the engine, which is forward most cylinders on our Velocities. Cylinders 1 & 3 are the forward most for the engine, which is the aft most or closest to the prop. I have been leaning some at altitudes above 3500 feet,  just to keep from burning 20 gal per hour. But I haven't tried any LOP operation. At 6,000 feet, running 24/24 I have been able to barely keep #5 under 450 degrees, my preset redline on my EFIS display, and fuel flow of 16 gal per hour. # 6 at these settings will be running about 400 to 425 degrees. All other cylinders are under 400 degrees, more in the ranges of 375 to 385 degrees.

I will try some LOP operation the next time I get a chance to fly.

Andy

    meaning closest to prop.  I had my forwared cylinders run warmer
    than the others at first.  I have two deflectors in side my plenum
    on both, which helped.

>Somebody suggested attempting to run LOP and map out the peaks for
    each cylinder, a good idea.  Climb up to 8,000 ft to do it so you
    don't have to worry about detonation around the 50ROP danger zone.
    Allow you to play around slowly with the mixture.  Keep an eye on
    redline egt of course.