REFLECTOR: Best Speed for MPG

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Aug 14 10:55:12 CDT 2013

I can look it up using a standard day.
An online E6B is showing that for a standard day you are indicating 132
knots at 18K feet, which is going to affect parasitic and lift drag.
That's not too far off of where the optimal airframe speed is.  Maybe 20
knots or so.  That's going to be pretty efficient, and hard to beat.

Using your data

alt 	gph 	kts 	nm/g
18000 	10.5 	180 	17.14286
12500 	12 	175 	14.58333
4 	13.5 	175 	12.96296

17 nautical miles per gallon, almost 20 miles per gallon.  Better than
my car.