REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 101, Issue 45

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 14 08:43:19 CDT 2013

Way back in ancient history when I was building my first airplane, a
Varieze, a more experienced builder gave me a piece of wisdom to use when
contemplating this kind of change...

When modifying a proven design, ask yourself this - "How much of a test
pilot do you want to be?"

And not just during the test phase... but during the life of the
airplane... How much of a test pilot do you want to be??

Think about ... different CGs, different density altitudes, different gross
weights, different gusty wind patterns.... etc.

How much of a test pilot do you really want to be?  That's the question.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

      To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 101,
          Issue 44

Scott,

I just gave my opinion after flying my first (sexy) Velocity without
winglets for about 600 Hours in all kinds of weather and crosswinds.
I decided to built another one 15 years later, so that eliminates the
trashy part .
I thought that winglets were not needed and ugly, but after my 130 hours
with the winglets my humble experience is that although not as pretty, they
do make a difference.

Since you have so much experience as well, no doubt you have found yourself
trying to raise the nose sharp while making a tight turn during a base to
final.
Velocities ( or at least the 5 I have flown in) do not like that  , you
first need to roll  out of the turn before the nose will react as normal.

That process is much easier with winglets, as well as the approach attitude
at low speeds ,and  aeleron and rudder inputs are more smooth.

Just my opinion, but thanks for your positive feedback.

Wim