REFLECTOR: Best Speed for MPG

Ron N VelocityXLFG velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 14 07:51:58 CDT 2013

I was wondering what the best speed per gallon of gas  has been in the
velocity.
I have been doing some  work on this lately . Now my plane having a
alternative
motor and a fixed pitch prop will likely not be the same as other
installations but
with that said I still would like to know what Speed other velocity
pilots are
finding for the best fuel mileage  has been.  I feel most comfortable at
145 knots
seems to be the sweet spot for me so far but that is also my comfort
zone for the engine
rpm on my fixed pitch propeller. Now this is only about Half throttle
for me wide
open I get 175 knots Or should I say 201 MPH  but I am sure my mileage
will go way down at the speed.

So far for me with only a few cross country's under my belt
Velocity XLFG LT1
Prop RPM 2500 Prop tip speed 535 mph
Prop Dia 72"
At 4500 alt