REFLECTOR: lower winglets

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 13 15:50:58 CDT 2013

I'm with Rene'

Scott, if you haven't had the opportunity for a direct comparison then the
fact that you can do it shouldn't mean much to others with different levels
of experience.  The performance difference is really minimal if it exists
at all.  The EZ crowd has been discussing the value (or not) of lower
winglets for 20+ years.  There has been some pretty significant testing
done by Nat Puffer (and others).  You clearly can find plenty of examples
where folks have built without them, but the testing and consensus clearly
show better low speed handling with them on in a variety of canard
aircraft.

Slightly off topic but mostly on, There was a really good writeup done in
Central States this year by James Redmon.  He did extensive analysis and
testing to find the optimum wing/winglet design for intersection drag
reduction on his Berkut.  It's a really good read both technically and
entertainment wise, but the net is... no real speed improvement for a fully
optimized design.  I'd suggest taking a look at the CS back issues...
you'll see lots of good discussion re. lower winglets.

Build a safe airplane first... and a sexy one second...

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

      ----- Message from David Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com> on Tue, 13
      Aug 2013 14:49:21 -0500 -----

      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
          <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 101, Issue
          32

Curious if you have comparative experience in a lower wingleted Velo with
similar conditions as PIC. No one has said it can't be done. The question
seems to be what configuration is optimal and optimal for what?  Maybe I
have misread but it seems we are all saying the same thing. Most agree
lowers offer more control, sans possibly sexier. Landing is one of the most
important parts of the flying experience so we should do it as safely as
possible. At least I want to fly with guys who think that way. 😎

René Dugas
Sent from an Apple REALLY smart phone.