REFLECTOR: Re-Attaching Bottom winglets

Carl Hoffman hoffman3 at rcn.com
Sun Aug 11 18:46:27 CDT 2013

Seventeen years ago, each winglet on my Velocity started out a piece of
blue foam with the shape of a wing, curved more on the upper surface
than the lower surface. I put on micro, and cover with 2 uni
fiber glass. After more micro and lots of sanding, I cut off the rudder
and glassed the exposed edge. The lower part of the rudderless winglet
was then cut off in order to attached it to the main wing. Many layers
of uni were used on both sides. Fast build wings did bother with putting
the lower winglet back on. The first XL almost crashed on take off at
Sun N Fun due to the lack of lower winglets.

The first set of Brazil XL winglets on Bob Woods plane were not attached
very well. On the first flight, wing flutter near VNE caused one of the
winglets to separate. The plane crash landed in a field 10 miles west of
Sebastian, FL. A new nose and wings and another few weeks later Bob's
Plane completed it's first flight.