REFLECTOR: Ouch

Tom Falls tomfalls6 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 10:14:09 CDT 2013

I went to a tax seminar at Airventure this year and what Don describes below is basically what I learned. However, you probably won't have to fight Maryland or Wisconsin if you move the plane out of state soon after the sale. I believe most states give you 2 weeks after purchase, but every state is different. You will have to pay tax in the state where the plane is based, regardless of where you bought it or where you live, or where it's registered.

If for some reason you do pay a sales tax where it's purchased, then you will pay a use tax in the state where the plane will be based. The use tax is calculated differently for every state, but it basically amounts to the difference between the tax you paid and the tax in the state where the plane is based.

Tom