REFLECTOR: re. Oil line bracket

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Sun Apr 28 09:08:12 CDT 2013

Jack, my two cents - you need to build everything aft of the firewall
thinking that it's doing everything it can to self-destruct.  Your EAA
counselor is right on.

Any lines, wires, or tubes going from the engine to the firewall need to be
supported.  Lines that aren't going between the firewall and engine should
also be supported.

Not to restart the debate on this topic (but c'mon guys!  How many times do
we need to relearn a lesson?).... all fittings on the engine or on lines
going between the engine and the firewall (or really anywhere between the
engine and anything that isn't vibrating) should be steel.

One of the best things I was taught when starting to build airplanes was
this... ask yourself, "how's it going to feel when I'm sitting at the end
of the runway?"... that's the best quality standard I've found.  You will
find that anything not done right will create nagging doubts... that suck
the fun right out of flying your bird...

My two cents.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering