REFLECTOR: Door locks "KISS"

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:05:21 CDT 2013

I didn't like the pin idea either.  I made a simple metal strap that pivots on the door frame and holds the handle in the closed position.  With the pin you can't open the door from the outside unless you add an unlatch device on the outside.  I saw such in the pictures of the "Grand Champion".  This means that you need a way of locking the passenger door to secure the plane when it's parked as in a second key lock.  With the pin and no outside release you can only open the passenger door from the inside and the pilot door still needs an external release.  My doors cannot be latched without pulling hard enough to compress the door seals to engage the door pins in their sockets.  When the door is latched there is a LOT of friction that prevents the door from unlatching from vibration or casual contact. Rene makes a very good point about the passenger door handle being ideal to grab to pull oneself forward.  A positive locking device is necessary.  See the attached for my "KISS" solution.

Larry Coen
N136LC