REFLECTOR: Towing Velocities

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 06:21:53 CDT 2013

Mechanical tugs and Velocity aircraft don't mix too well because of the
light weight on the nose gear.
More than one Velocity has been tipped back on its prop and wing tips
while being pushed by a mechanical tug.
The potential for an accident of this sort is strong enough that a
warning placard "NO TUG" on the nose strut is suggested to warn the unwary.
And, whenever I park at a larger FBO, I always talk with line service to
warn them not to use mechanical tugs.
All of this being said, some builders have come up with creative ways to
attach a tow bar to the nose casting.  Be careful when drilling into the
fork.  Doing so can easily weaken the casting.
My personal experience with tow bars is that they work great when
pulling the aircraft in forward direction - and do a lousy and awkward
job when pushing the aircraft.
If you have the physical strength, the best way to move the aircraft is
to grab onto the underside of the canard in the cavity where the
elevators hinge to the canard.  It provides a good grip hold when
pulling the aircraft.
In my opinion, that and a friend to help push/pull really is the best
option.
Best,
Scott B