REFLECTOR: flight with extra weight

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sun Apr 14 11:23:57 CDT 2013

On 4/14/2013 9:42 AM, velocityxl wrote:
> Did a flight today with a bunch of weight . Plane was loaded to 2600
> lbs boy what a different plane with this much weight. I have been
> flying around mostly with just me in the seat and the plane takes off
> like a rocket ship. Now with the extra 320 lbs it is a whole new
> airplane. Really have to pull back a bunch to get the nose off the
> ground. Lift off was 82 knots and the touch down and roll out was as
> expected a lot longer. I had the accualy use the brakes at the end of
> the run way. Usually I just coast to a stop. I have a fixed pitch prop
> So now i can see why the constaint speed prop starts to pay for its
> self. What weight have others flow there plane with ? I was thinking of
> Getting its weight up to 3000 a nice round number . When i filled out
> the papers with the faa i said its max gross was going to be 2800.
> Is it a big deal to change that to 3000?
>
> Ps I now see where people start to run out of trim. Over the numbers i
> had a lot of back stick. My alerion trim with the timming
> Belt is working very well so  far. But auto pilot would be nicer.

Remember, when taking off with more weight, especially in the front
seat, it requires a lot more up trim (elevator down).  If you have it
trimmed properly, it shouldn't take that much stick back pressure to
rotate and the rotate speed shouldn't be that much more.  Same thing
applies for landing.

John