REFLECTOR: Vacuum pump

Tom Cacek hytec45 at aol.com
Wed Apr 10 15:47:05 CDT 2013

Bob,

Apparently the reflector has chattered about everything else except answering your question, I am sadden by that.  Here is my ideas for you.  The 1/4-20 nuts on the inside is a bitch.  Some times it is easier to just remove the left mag first.  Get yourself a Vacuum pump wrench from any aircraft supply house where you will probably get the pump.  You can also make one if you have a welder, but it's a 5" long 90' 9/16" crows foot type wrench.  It will make that inside nut easier to get off.  The new pump needs no lubrication, but be sure to replace the gasket between the pump and pad (usually comes with the pump), to insure that the oiling hole used for other type pumps will be blocked off and not leak.  As mentioned, be sure to make sure there is no crap in the intake hose, and check the garter filter on the regulator (don't try pulling it off with your teeth).  Easy replace with the right tools.

One thing that engine accessories don't like, is engine vibration.  This is the vibration that we can't feel, but shakes the accessories apart.  If you haven't yet, have the engine dynamically balanced.  It should be less than .2 Inches per Second at normal RPM.  Any balancing guy will know what to do.