REFLECTOR: N4PE Testing Status

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:45:27 CDT 2013

Brian,

Just rich of best power is real close to peak cylinder head temp.  Is your mixture not adjustable in flight?  My Franklin is carbureted  so mixture works in a conventional manner.  My exhaust temperature runs 1350F at take-off power and I can climb to 10,000 feet with peak CHT of 360F. My oil will peak at 210F and then settle at 180-190F during cruise.  During climb I adjust mixture every 1000 ft or so to maintain EGT at 1350F.  This prevents going over rich during climb.  My armpit scoops are moved out 3/4" from the fuselage and I added an internal throat shaped like a ram jet to improve pressure recovery.  With that set-up low CHT is more of a problem then high.  I struggled with high oil temp early on and solved that by placing two vortex generators ahead of the oil cooler inlet (3/4" tall) and changing from break-in oil to Exxon Elite.  Putting another 50 hours on the engine made further improvements.

I had a plenum duct pop off during Vne testing and had to abort a test run.  I have a split plenum so only the even numbers got hot.  A couple of small sheet metal screws thru the duct into the plenum might be a good idea.

I don't think cylinder baffles on a Franklin make sense with their fin configuration.  I do think your mixture is a problem.

Keep smiling, it fly's doesn't it.

Larry Coen
N136LC