REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 97, Issue 1

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Mon Apr 1 07:47:35 CDT 2013

Rene suggests my change in oil usage had to do with oil level, but this is
not the case.  I realize that most of these engine stabilize at about 5-6
qts, mine would just keep throwing oil until the oil press started to drop
at near 4 qts.  It is now near stable at about 5 qts.  Since this has only
just stopped throwing oil, I still don't know exactly the sweet spot.

 John suggests that that I may be well above stall speed when I rotate.  I
can fly my plane down to about 65kts with adequate lateral control and the
canard stalled (I think).  I never get bobbing, just mushing below that
speed.  I rotate at slightly above this speed by pulling back the stick.  So
I am doing what he suggests.  I think the trim spring is plenty strong (or
else my forearm is weak) as the forces seem about right, if not too stiff).
I will take care in raising the nose as I do value my Catto Prop.

Thanks for all the words.

David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292