REFLECTOR: Repairs exhaust Coting

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:12:39 CDT 2012

For folks with two-into-one (I/O360) or three-into-one (I/O540 or O-350)
exhaust manifolds, a word of caution regarding ceramic coating the
exterior surfaces of the exhaust system.  Those with these exhaust
systems, in particular, must be alert to the possibility of cracks
developing in the exhaust system ... typically where down pipes meet the
horizontal member of the exhaust system.  Ceramic coating the exterior
surfaces of the exhaust system may hide the presence of developing cracks.

Ceramic coatings make welding repairs more difficult to accomplish.

Once upon a time the Velocity factory supplied ceramic coated exhaust
systems, but changed back to "naked" pipes for reasons mentioned above.

Scott B.