REFLECTOR: Repairs exhaust Coting

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:32:34 CDT 2012

I believe the ceramic coatings are to be applied inside the exhaust manifold. This keeps more heat moving downstream, and doesn't stress the metallic structure by keeping the heat in the metal. Internal ceramic coating is the preferred method vs all others, even vs external wrapping. All external insulators will cause excessive heat build up on any welds on the manifold and could crystallize them over time, leading to failure.
I once ceramic coated the exhaust manifold on a Cummins 8.3 and Jet Hot gave very easy instructions how to do it right: yes you can do a used manifold. Just tape off all the ports save one and pour diluted sulfuric acid into the manifold (obviously off the engine). Leave it in there a while to etch the metal and the pour it out. Rinse with fresh water and then dry, I think I hit mine with a blow gun. Re-tape the ports save one, mix the Jet Hot and pour it in. Rotate to coat and let dry. It can be cured in an oven or by running the engine.
Not that difficult. Racers of all variety are internally ceramic coating almost everything downstream from the head: exhaust manifold, inside of turbo housing, turbine blades and all exhaust piping all the way to the outlet.
Keeps the heat flowing more efficiently, protects the exhaust system and turbo and reportedly gets much faster turbo spool up.

Mark B. Magee
N34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S