REFLECTOR: Overhead approaches (Geoff Gerhardt)

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Mon Sep 17 23:36:52 CDT 2012

Great video except for the music.  At uncontrolled airports in Canada the overhead approach is the normal procedure used and is at circuit height as you cross the destination runway.  Straight in to the left (or right) downwind is the other procedure used.  The 45° entry is not commonly used although that is the normal circuit entry in the US.  See Transport Canada http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp14371-rac-4-0-5385.htm#rac-4-5, section 4.5.2 explains the procedure.

At towered airports the controller may have you come in using any procedure depending on traffic.  Full circuit, left base, right base or straight in.

I agree with the various comments that you arrive in the pattern with plenty of kinetic energy that gives you a number of options should something nasty happen.  Although I usually do not approach the circuit environment at cruise speed, I like to see who else is in the pattern.

Fred

C-GHOL, XL-RG