REFLECTOR: Overhead approaches

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:53:55 CDT 2012

Richard,
You have some valid points, in the Navy we were in turbines and t-props: no
shock cooling. On my Long EZ I would drop the speed brake at 90 KTS which
disrupted the airflow to my P-51 scoop. As well I didn't chop power on the
break in the Long EZ like a T34C, but brought it back gradually well before
the break and as I started the corkscrew down. This can save a cylinder
head if done right.
If you can avoid shock cooling, which is a serious concern, then I would
still consider the OH valid for the Velocity. If you begin a gradual
pulling of power -in advance- of the break, maybe 6 to 10 seconds before
the break, your not as flashy as in a P-51 or T6 Texan 2 chopping power
directly overhead, but can avoid the shock cooling and still corkscrew down
with plenty of speed.

Mark