REFLECTOR: Overhead approaches

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:06:31 CDT 2012

Hi Geoff,
This is the way I learned from day one in the NAV, it is a much safer way
setting up a landing. I have never understood the standard GA pattern for
as you say, a power loss in the pattern doesn't guarantee you get to the
numbers. If you study the Navy overhead approach or midfield approach, and
tailor them to your aircraft it is frankly the safest way to get on the
ground. You carry the most speed approaching the airfield, and done
correctly requires no power (power at flight idle) after the break. I
always used the overhead approach or midfield break at SDM in my Long EZ,
adjusting for a high situation with a slip. Very effective and quite fun.
The great thing is that GA towers are forced to be familiar with Overhead
and midfield approaches for the occasional transient military aircraft, and
as well in CA the firefighting aircraft always used an overhead approach:
they needed to get down, fueled and re-watered ASAP.
IMHO the overhead approach and midfield break should be std procedure in
GA. If you do 4 of these approaches with an instructor you would feel very
comfortable doing them. The angle of bank and mild G-Forces are acute for
those not used to them in the pattern, but quickly learned.

Mark Magee
N34XL