REFLECTOR: Sparrow strainer - I'm confused...

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Fri Sep 14 09:42:35 CDT 2012

Geoff,

Just the opposite.  The sparrow strainer is there to aid your trim system.
Since a trim system is to maintain airspeed you have to trim down as you
accelerate or the plane will climb.  Installing it upside down will work to
make the elevator "trim" itself, but will prevent your trim system from
being stable.  Your pitch should be 1.5 oscillations with a 10kts
disturbance, which is pretty good compared to other aircraft.  If you run
out of trim nose down you need to space out your trim spring down on the V
bracket on the concentric torque tube.  Nose up trim would be at the trim
motor and spring bracket.

Other things to consider are the stiffness of your trim spring, if it was
ever weakened or cut down it won't hold trim very well at high or low speeds
due to air loads.  You can replace it with a stiffer spring if you want to
which will also help out.  I have seen some builders narrow their spring due
to clearance issues but you looks some stiffness as a result.  Also, look at
the top of the trim spring for stress cracks.  Always try to be close to
neutral trim when doing your run up and box check so you don't over stress
the spring.

Safe flying,

                      John Abraham

Chief Pilot, Executive V.P. Sales and Marketing

                  200 W. Airport Drive

                  Sebastian, FL 32958

             <http://www.velocityaircraft.com/> www.velocityaircraft.com

                  (P): 772-589-1860