REFLECTOR: IO-360 / Mag Timing?

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Sep 12 11:02:09 CDT 2012

No, no.

Install the mag, remove the top plugs(don't be lazy do it).

Setup your marks do you can tell when you are the correct degrees before
TDC for your mag.  See your engine manual for this.

Rotate the engine so its before the timing point(this will be just
before TDC for #1 cyl).  If its an impulse mag trigger the impluse, then
back up past the point.

Connect your mag timing box to the mag.(MAG switch ON!, be carefull!)

move the prop so it is on the mark

A) Now turn the mag so the light/noise just comes on. (initial setting)

B) rotate the prop back so the noise/light goes out, plus 10 degrees.

C) slowly bring the prop forward, stop when the light/noise comes on,
see if you are on the mark. If not adjust the mag(little bit!).  repeat
steps B&C until the noise/light comes on right when the on mark as you
rotate the prop.

D) tighten down the mag, recheck!!!

Do the other mag if you have two.

Scott