REFLECTOR: IO-360 / Mag Timing?

Patrick Sieders pjsieders at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 08:17:46 CDT 2012

Kevin,

There is two ways to do it. And it all depends on if the magneto was removed
or not.

1.	at an inspection, since the spark plugs are removed, that will make
the prop much easier to turn (no compression). This is by far the best way.
2.	If the magneto is being replaced onto the engine, the cap with the
sparkplug cables is not on, and then find compression stroke on cylinder #1
by removing only that spark plug (one of the two).

Then time it. I used to time it back and forth, since there is some play.
But I would make certain that the magneto is set deadon on the correct
rotation direction of your engine. First time the left magneto, then match
the right.

Now, your question actually sounded like you asked the inside timing of the
mag.. but the next sentence refered to timing on engine. So hopefully this
is what you wanted, otherwise I can explain a little more about the internal
timing later.

Hope it helps !
Patrick Sieders
Nashville TN