REFLECTOR: Fwd: Re: Still test flying...battling high CHT's (Geoff Gerhardt)

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:03:21 CDT 2012

Scott,

Thanks - that drawing makes sense.  I went for a flight today.  I made some
changes to the VG's for the roof NACA's.  Instead of just putting a couple
right in front of the NACA, I put a whole line of them across the roof line
right about the mid-point of the doors.  Did nothing.  Still #3 got to 425F
on climb out.  But, like other flights, in cruise at 70% power, LOP, all
cylinders were about equal at ~390F.  I have another variant of VG's that I
want to try - VG's just ahead of the NACA, then a line of them right at the
transition from the NACA to the runner.  If that doesn't help, I'll try the
cooling vanes, or maybe try to open up the area between the plenum and
forward cylinders as you suggest.

Geoff