REFLECTOR: MT hub grease

Tom Cacek hytec45 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 17:03:24 CDT 2012

Don't know how old your prop is and how many hours are on it.  I had the same problem with mine after about 90 hours.  I got mine back in 2000.  The problem is, after buying redesigned blades on my dime, it the IO360C1C I am using does not have counterweights, and the firing pulses on a four are very violent.  The original prop didnt have enough weight in the blades to keep the string tight during the firing pulses.  Also, the hub is magnesium, and the original did not have SS inserts where the O rings seal,  This rocking of the blades would allow the O ring to wear the hub, causing leaking.  They now have SS inserts in that area.  I had the prop off every 40/50 hrs since then to replace seals.  I don't trust it now, and still have my fixed Catto to get me by when the prop is off for repair.  Net time it happens, I am doing it myself.  My business was seals, and I got so pissed at the lack of responsibility of mt, and them passing the buck on there venders and everyone else except them, I told them that seals were my business, and if they wanted to send me drawings, I would be more than happy to review there seal design, and make recommendations.  I knew that would piss the Krauts off, as they pride themselves on design.  I had there chief engineer call me the next day personally crying how there design is sound, I keep replying that it really wouldn't be a burden on me to take a look at it and I would be more than happy to do it.  A pair of Teflon backup rings in the design is where I would start (my neighbors 5 year old could see that).  My option now from mt is to purchase a new prop with the Magnum hub as they didn't have that back in 2000.  So basically, "take your prop we sold you, eat it and buy our new design because that one won't work".  Typical mt.

Hope yours is newer and you will be able to get it right.