REFLECTOR: Still test flying...battling high CHT's (Geoff Gerhardt)

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Mon Sep 10 08:23:54 CDT 2012

Geoff:

Had similar CHT problems with the IO-550, particularly cylinder #2.  There are deflector plates between the cylinders that can be bent to change the air flow, have not messed with them though.  Trying to put deflectors on top of that engine would be a nightmare with all the plumbing that is on top of that engine.  Is this is a new engine?  I have been told that the CHT's will decrease as the engine breaks in.  This is also a scary portion of your flight testing if you follow engine manufacturers reccommendations.  The engine manufacturers recommend that for proper break in of the engine it should be operated near maximum power for the first 20-25 hours.  Continued low power operation will glaze the cylinders resulting in high oil consumption.  I suppose 25 hours of touch and go's might qualify.

Place a pair of VG's 1 1/2" ahead of the start of the slope of the NACAs.  You will see a dramatic decrease in the CHT's to the point where I am trying to figure out a way to reduce the air flow in the winter or when flying at very cold altitudes.  Scott suggested making the ramp of the NACAs adjustable to reduce the size of the air intake.  The VG's pressurize the plenum to a point where I have also noticed an increase in manifold pressures during climb out.  The Continental gets it's combustion air from the back of the engine plenum.

Fred
XL-RG (620 hrs.)